Cycling in Mumbai rains during pandemic | What to expect

This pandemic has revealed a lot of things, and one of the most shocking has been the works of news channels. Before the pandemic I believed that blind forwards and misinformed opinions are the real reason for baseless rumours. But these testing times made us all realise that the very core of these problems has been the legit news network. Not knowing where to run to get the right information, I've really moved towards the exercise of getting it first hand. 

At one point the lockdown was relieved, then salons reopened, then the lockdown was back, but there were special rules for small businesses in order to encourage them, then there is the fact that some Bollywood movies are planning theatre releases in December, all of this makes you wonder where YOU stand in this pandemic. So one fine day I wore all home available supplies - wind cheater, gloves and mask and hopped onto my bicycle for enlightenment. I went straight to the police officer standing near the barricades and had a chat. Here is what he told me about stepping out on the road per se cycling - as far as you've worn your mask, are solo on the cycle without a pillion and are out only in day time, no police officer will stop you. Most of the area curfews start evening on ward, while some are completely sealed barring entry. Having said all of that you are the better judge of your immunity and health to understand that you must not step out unnecessarily or too frequently.

Now every year I've loved to hate Mumbai rains - walking through the muddy puddles, dodging pothole splashes, surviving sticky local commutes and the gloom! Oh I had my reasons. Back then, I would fantasise about a quiet day indoors with a hot cup of coffee in one hand and book in another, add a warm blanket by the feet with ghazals playing in the background and it was just perfect. In the 4 long months of monsoon, this fantasy came true probably once or never. But now the tables have turned and fantasies have low key become reality. We are ALL indoors and free to do whatever we want to, yet we sulk, of course because we've been indoors for almost the length of a season now - 4 months. Sitting at home by the window, watching falling droplets merge into each other, I craved all that I'd despised along with all that I'd loved about Mumbai monsoon - the soul soaking pours, cutting chai by the tarpi, hot bhajiyas and endless umbrella upturning views. Lockdown has changed everything - the good and the bad. 

Mumbai had already recorded more than the usual rainfall when I decided to step out cycling. Yesterday, Sunday, I started off at 7 am from my house to go to the backroad of Inorbit Mall for cycling. I repeated my whole cover-up of wind cheater, gloves and mask and sanitised my bicycle beforehand. In the early wee hours of the morning all the vegetable vendors and milk vans were rushing to collect their supplies, I noticed that it was more crowded that it used to be at this time back in the pre-pandemic days. Moving on to wider roads, I let the breeze touch whatever was left of my face after covering it with the mask. One of the most endearing sight nowadays is that of the street animals, the way they've claimed the roads is cute. I stopped by to feed packaged food to some of them before moving onto mission backroad. When I reached outside Inorbit Mall it made my entire body flinch, standing there staring at the once hustling bustling mall, I wondered how much more eerie it must feel from inside. The mall was as empty as empty gets with just one guard sitting per entrance, but the back road had its charm with early risers walking, jogging, cycling and exercising on the roads, some wearing masks, some huffing in it and some getting rid of it. 

Inorbit Mall Backroad, Malad West

I spotted Mamik Singh from Jo Jeeta Wahi Sikander while I was cycling and the first thing I said was, "Change the gear Sanju! Change the gear!", we lowered our masks laughed, had a small conversation about how we are doing and went our ways. I really like how everybody is more mindful of asking about each others health and wellness since the pandemic. Genuinely caring for each other wellbeing. Otherwise earlier people would just fly with their agendas without even having the courtesy to ask about you.

When I was cycling through the back road, trying to take-in everything I could see because I was seeing it after so long, I was also secretly hoping for rains. As much as I despise rains, I need that one session of hair soaking, soul drenching rain per monsoon and I got it then. The ecstasy of it pouring after you wished for it is another high altogether. That moment of wish fulfilment, while I was riding the bicycle, made me forget about everything - that entire mask and gear, the pandemic, the new normal, everything. In that moment I was one with the nature, I was the falling droplet and I was the earth. 

Comments

Popular Posts