Airport looks move away airline bans are here to stay

On Tuesday, (I wonder what's with Dangal every Mangal) in the IndiGo flight from Lucknow to Mumbai, comedian Kunal Kamra seized the opportunity to have a dialogue with editor of Republic TV Arnab Goswami without his permission but also without breaking any airline rule. This lead to IndiGo banning him for six months, followed by Union Civil Aviation Minister Hardeep Singh advising other airlines to do the same. On cue, Air India, SpiceJet and GoAir declared they had banned Kamra.

Now we have witnessed a lot of incidents where public figures have given leading airline's staff a piece of their mind, of course resulting in breaking news. From Ranveer Singh loosing his cool with a flight's staff to Priyanka Chopra being accused of endangering lives by using her mobile phone in the flight, here are some celebrity vs airline incidents to ponder.

Aditya Narayan vs IndiGo (2017)

Incident: At Raipur airport Aditya was seen threatening the staff member of Indigo airline, when a staff member stopped Aditya for exceeding the baggage limit of 17 kgs.

Charge: He was allowed to board the flight only after he apologized to the staff member.

Aditya's Statement: “I kept quiet for all this while as I did not want to prod this matter further. It was an argument between two individuals and I never shied away from accepting that I was one of them. Unluckily for me, only I was given the spotlight in the 30 seconds footage that was doing rounds in the media. I think there are few people, who want to only look at other’s flaws, and they did it very well. Thanks to them the matter got escalated but trust me it wasn’t such a major issue. I apologized to the one I had to and they did so in return and the matter pretty much should have ended there. Anyone can have arguments and it was distasteful to use only my part of the quarrel against me and my family.”

Aditya Narayan

Sonu Nigam vs Jet Airways (2017)

Incident: Sonu Nigam sang two songs from 'Veer-Zara' and 'Refugee' on a flight from Jodhpur to Mumbai, the video uploaded by passengers instantly went viral invoking the Directorate General of Civil Aviation's (DGCA) displeasure.

Charge: All five cabin crew members on the flight were grounded for a while.

Sonu's Statement: "I have witnessed an elaborate fashion show in an aircraft. I have heard of small concerts happening too. I have seen pilots and crew members cracking jokes to lighten up passengers in other countries, which is so cool. To suspend crew members for asking me to sing on the address system, when the seat belt signs were off, and no announcements were to be made, is nothing less than punishing someone for spreading happiness. This act of lack of common sense, according to me, is real intolerance."

Sonu Nigam

In 2017, when the government had introduced rules about blacklisting disruptive passengers, they had said all airlines are not obliged to block a person banned by other carriers.

Kunal Kamra vs IndiGo (2020)

Incident: Kunal Kamra requested Arnab Goswami to engage in a conversation with him and he refused. Later Kamra heckled Arnab and only when the flight attendant asked him to move did he move to his seat, but later gave a formal apology to the passengers. This lead to Indigo banning Kamra and the government announcing that it was urging other airlines to do the same.

Charge: Banned by four flight for six months - Indigo, Air India, Spicejet & GoAir.

Kunal's Statement: "It's not shocking at all to me that for exercising my right to speech, which falls under article 19 of our constitution. Fact of the matter is that at no point was I disruptive and at no point did I not follow orders of the cabin crew or the captain. At no point did I endanger the safety of any passenger on board, the only damage I caused was to the inflated ego of the 'journalist' Arnab Goswami."

Arnab Goswami

With the incident, a lot of sensible (left, liberal, right) people agreed that what Kamra did was wrong and had the incident been treated as it has had in the past, by accepting an apology and moving on, then I wouldn't have wrote this article. But with not just one but four airlines banning the comedian, my nation once again without fail, gave me content, horror & comedy. Adding another line to my poem Mudde Ki Baat...

"Yahan beef puri tarha se ban nahi ho paya, hum Kamra ki udaan ban karne chale."



Comments

Popular Posts