DIY | Best out of household waste

Most of the things we learn as kids in kindergarten or primary school are either forgotten or not taken seriously but the craft lesson of making best out of waste is something I could never forget as it fascinated me to make a sparkling new object out of crap. I know many of us do remember this but I am among those who not only took this craft lesson seriously but also made it a hobby. Drawing, painting, stitching, and so many more hobbies of my childhood were lost in the fast phase life as I grew up in the rat race, but every time I saw waste I collected it. So you will find ice-cream sticks, shells and chocolate wrappers in my handbag rather than khol, lip balm or foundation. There are more of iron rods, twigs, boxes, used gift wrapping papers and milk bottles in my cupboard than books. My drawers is filled with old pens, broken clips and cheetos tazos (Yes, I still collect them) than files and papers.

So when I fell ill to a hectic lifestyle and viral fever in the air of Mumbai, I really got a long break from my rather busy schedule and I realised how badly was I in need of rest - mentally and physically. But as a mumbaikar, I obviously couldn't rest for too long and I took up my favourite hobby of craft to make best out of waste. So here are some things that I beatified. I hope you find it useful.

All season footwear 

Mumbai rains are long gone and so are monsoon trends but those lovely, comfortable, air-pumps that kept our feet dry can't be abandoned, then why cosign it to oblivion. I simply trendify them for winters with colourful scoobies. You can also use woolen threads to cover them up and make a pair of warm pumps.

Mayonnaise caps

Jewellery box

I love mayonnaise with burgers, wraps, rotis, curries, in fact anything and everything edible and my house never runs out of bottles of American Garden Mayo, but what do you do with those bottles once the mayo is over? Well my mother loves to wash them and reuse for storing spices, except this time I stole the lid! Come'on I always wanted a compact and cute jewellery box to keep all my extra tick-tocks and earnings. That's why I made this.  I love the yellow hearts! 

Painted medicine bottles

Well not to forget that I was really really ill and once you go to the doctor they find infinite deficiencies in your body and finally end up giving you profuse medicines. You eat and drink all the medicines and become healthier (at least you think you do). What after that? I can't just throw away those bottles. Thus rather than dumping them I made my house a tad bit greener by painting them with solvent colours and planting my mother's beloved money plant in it.

Water bottle

And finally the doctor with countless medicines and tips also asked me to drink loads of water (plain water is so boring!). Now I can't really do much with water but I can surely do bountiful things with the water bottle. A fancy bottle will attract me and I might just end up drinking more water than usual. So I used some 3D outliners on the glass bottle of Roohafzah. 

With loads of excitement and some weakness I return back to my life tomorrow and as I write this my mother asked me if I am still "Mad Over Mumbai" after it gave me so much of malaise? My answer was an ancient quote, "Hate the message, not the messenger."


Comments

  1. Anonymous12/14/2012

    When there is family the rest is followed..... With a lot of pampering and flu and rest and waste and (some)help this was created, Power Puff Girls were created with everything nicer and the theory was imposed that good creates better and bad creates worst, well let be it.

    P.S. And with more Girls then Men in family I did watch PowerPuffGirls.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts