Munching the Mohammed Ali way | Prepare to salivate

My journey to the famous Mohammed Ali Road was filled with speculations of developing a taste for oily street food, but when you stay without water, food and thought of food for 14 hours even diet food allures you! But its not just the food or taste or hygiene that I am talking about, it's about the spirit and extravaganza of Iftar that you experience there.

Mohammaed Ali Road
The moment I stepped in the crowded street with my friend Ali who has mapped the narrow lanes by heart, I could taste the enthusiasm and promptitude to pick up the best food until it lasts. While struggling with the crowd to place our order for Mutton Nan Sandwich, I ended up chatting with a beggar Khalifa about her experiences and I was surprised to know that her son had a stall selling fresh fruits in the same lane while she begged for food there. She would start her day with cleaning the juicer and setting up the stall but later continue begging on the street because not only is it more profitable but also something she enjoys! Not that I encourage begging in Mumbai but I couldn't help smiling at her innocence and ended up giving her some money (typical mumbaikar). Being used to a much better sum of money or stuck by my charm (I'd never know) she came back minutes later with a bag of freshly sliced watermelon from her son's stall and told me that Ramzan is all about giving.

Mophammed Ali Road, Zaika Restaurant
Hungry and confused I moved ahead with the crowd and was happy that the next person I dealt with was too busy to communicate. But soon I realised that the owner of Zaika Mr. Salim was a man worth a conversation. He told me about his grandfather setting up Zaika Restaurant and wished his three sons to take over his load. Well they had already commenced in the business as children with helping him boil tons of mutton and chicken every night and trading it to the shop. Zakir would order around 500 bread loafs which he would sell with Kheema, Kebab and Bhurjee before the day ends. Realising the contrast of my childhood with his, I instantly lost my appetite for more information and left with my food without another question. There were so many shops and stalls there which made me realise that there were so many more such stories, so I moved on, after all there is nothing better than the rhythmic tak- tak- tak of Kheema Pav in progress to get you back in the mood for Iftar.

Mohammed Ali Road
My next stop was a stall selling desserts and this time I decided to haste with the buying process but the variety of desserts made me dizzy. Born with a sweet tooth I ended up taking Bread Pudding, Caramel Custard, Mango Firni, Mawa Cake and a warning from my friend to finish it all! Did I finish? Is a question I wish to skip. Mohammed Ali Road offers you everything except a decent place to eat the delicious food, so we drove in our car towards Haji Ali and to the sound of Maghrib Azan we broke our fast.

Mohammed Ali Road
A car facing the Arabian sea, with sumptuous food and two hungry friends. I wouldn't care even if anybody was giving two free cans of petrol on the street.


Comments

Popular Posts